Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Review: Nexus by Ramez Naam

Title: Nexus (Nexus #1)
Author: Ramez Naam
Format: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Published: December 18, 2012
Publisher: Angry Robot
ISBN: 0857662937
Purchase:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Synopsis:

Mankind gets an upgrade

In the near future, the experimental nano-drug Nexus can link humans together, mind to mind. There are some who want to improve it. There are some who want to eradicate it. And there are others who just want to exploit it.

When a young scientist is caught improving Nexus, he’s thrust over his head into a world of danger and international espionage – for there is far more at stake than anyone realizes.

From the halls of academe to the halls of power, from the headquarters of an elite US agency in Washington DC to a secret lab beneath a top university in Shanghai, from the underground parties of San Francisco to the illegal biotech markets of Bangkok, from an international neuroscience conference to a remote monastery in the mountains of Thailand – Nexus is a thrill ride through a future on the brink of explosion.

REVIEW:
First of all, I would like to thank Netgalley and Angry Robot publishing company for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book in exchange for an honest review!

Nexus was definitely a thriller! This book made me think and I love books like that. The message of the book was strong. Should we as humans be allowed to enhance ourselves? What would the government do to control the mere humans? How far will their "protection" go?

"In space," she said, "no one can hear you dance." This line absolutely cracked me up. This book starts off light and has moments of fun. But, is actually a high octane mega trip with lots of action. The character of Sam (the narc) is a complete bad ass, made to fight. She has her reasons for becoming what she is, but should she be listening to her government superiors? Her inner battle is brutal and raw.

But overall, it is a story of Kaden Lane and his fight to do what he thinks is right. You see, Kaden is the creator of Nexus 5 which is a drug that interlinks human brains to share information, thoughts, feelings. The "good" and the bad guys both want the Nexus 5 secret and will stop at nothing to obtain it. .. or destroy him.

As you all know, I am a sucker for anything Albert Einstein. Well, at several points in the book, Kade reflects upon some of Einstein's thoughts. "The problems we currently face can't be solved at the level of thinking that created them." Of course, this made me fall in love with this book even more!

There are also some highly important side characters that assist in moving the plot along greatly. Also, most of the book takes place in Thailand and Naam's world building is brilliant. I could see everything through his writing.

At the very end of the book, there is a section called Extras. It details Naam's own encounters with neuroscience and some of the advances he has seen in restoring sight, hearing and limb function through outside stimuli. The last paragraph of this section encompasses Naam's views:

"To understand a thing is to gain the power to change it. We're surging in our understanding of our own makeup – our genes, our bodies, and especially our minds. The next few decades will be more full of wonders than even the greatest science fiction." – Ramez Naam

There is so much more I could say about this book, but I know I would have spoilers and I really hate reviews with spoilers!

So, I will end with this.

If you had the opportunity to take a drug and be able to interlink your mind with other humans, would you do it?

5 stars to Nexus for being such a trip!

10 comments:

  1. This book sounds awesome! Loving the premise of the book and also, your review. :)

    I look forward to giving this book a go, it definitely sounds like something I would pick up.

    I think I would. If I could interlink my mind with another human being, I'd like to think I would try it out.. being able to share thoughts and information like that would be such an amazing scientific discovery (this idea has me so excited about where else science could take us in the future)!

    Sadie @ Lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Sadie! Thanks for the compliment. And I think I would have to try it out too. Going to go check out your blog now!

      Delete
  2. this sounds like a great book! thanks for the awesome review--it makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome! Another great read to add to wishlist. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I just nominated you for the Liebster award-congratulations! http://usingtherightsideofmybrain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review. I went back and looked at your first one, then came here to your last one. Just wanted to see how you had changed and grown. I wish you continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, this sounds awesome! and the cover is rather pretty c: *adds to my wishlist*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina K. in the rafflecopter

    I completely agree with you about thrillers needing to make you think! I love how this one goes all over the world, and that it's scientific but has ethical questions:))

    Lovely review:)


    ReplyDelete
  8. Christina K. in the rafflecopter

    I completely agree with you! Thrillers need to make you thing:)

    I love how this takes place all over the world and that the science part of it has an ethical aspect:))

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...